Chingwede House is located about 2km south of the village of Msambweni on the remote southern coast of Kenya. Although this private house can be booked separately, it more usually serves as an overspill annexe to the adjacent Samawati House.
It is slightly smaller and simpler than its neighbour, also with four rooms. Essentially self-catering, the house comes with a full complement of staff including cook, askari and cleaner. Guests do need to be pretty independent, so probably best suited to more seasoned travellers.
This private house offers the finest in coastal life without the crowds and without the stress. Long walks on Msambweni Beach are interupted only by delicious fresh seafood dishes and long cocktails to keep you cool.
Two twin bedrooms - one with en suite bathroom, the other with adjacent bathroom
Spacious veranda running the full length of the house with a comfortable seating area, furnished with traditional coastal sofas and table
Sitting room, dining room and kitchen
Master bedroom with ensuite bathroom
Twin bedroom (ideal for children) with cot available
Large veranda partly covered....perfect for cocktails as you watch the sun set behind the gently rustling doum palms
Other House Details
- Beach Access - The beach is down a flight of steps through your own private gate. A shower halfway down let's you rinse off after swims.
- Electricity - There is mains electricity which runs on 240 Volts. Plugs are generally 3 square-pin as used in the United Kingdom.
- Guest Numbers - Chingwede House sleeps a maximum of eight people. Should you wish to have additional guests, a supplementary charge will be levied and prior arrangement is required. For a larger group, the plot has another house which sleeps a further eight guests.
- Money - Local currency, Kenya Shillings, can be obtained from ATMs in Diani, as well as from Bureau de Change at Nairobi's Jomo Kenyatta Airport.
- Mosquitoes - Do bring repellent with you, however each bed has tent style nets covering them.
- Nannies - If you have small children coming with you, an ayah or nanny can be arranged at an extra cost.
- Safe - The house has a safe where valuables and cash can be locked up.
- Shopping - Fresh seafood and some vegetables can be ordered through Mudwhari or Hamsini for delivery to the door. Most other non-perishables including beer and sodas are available from the shops in Msambweni village. Banks and more serious provisioning can be done either in Ukunda or the Diani shopping mall which is thirty minutes drive. You will find several petrol stations there too.
- Telephones - Mobile phones have coverage at the house.
- Transport - hire cars and taxis can be organised at an extra cost from Diani and Mombasa. This is also the case for airport transfers.
- Water - Fresh water is provided by our two wells in the garden. Hot water is powered by our solar panels. Drinking water is available from the clay filter/purifier in the dining room.
Water and Beach Activities can be arranged at an extra cost.
- Deep Sea Fishing
- Water skiing
- Funzi Bay
- Kisite Marine Reserve
- Shimba Hills National Park - famed for Sable antelope
- Wasini Island