It offers a vast and untapped arena of arid bush which is washed by azure and emerald meandering of Galana River.
The Joint mass of Tsavo West and Tsavo East National Parks forms one of the largest National parks in the world and covers a massive 4% of Kenya’s total land area. Tsavo East the larger of the two, is guarded by the limitless lava reaches of Yatta plateau and patrolled by some of the largest elephant herds in Kenya
- Roads: the park Mtito Andei Gates is 233 km South of Nairobi and 250 km North of Mombasa on the main Nairobi- Mombasa Road. Distance Nairobi-Mtito Andei: 233 km - Mtito Andei-Voi: 96 km - Voi-Mombasa: 153 km. From Malindi, take the western road (C103) and enter in the park via Sala gate.
- Airstrips: Voi, Aruba, Satao, Sala, Ithumba, Sangayaya, Mopeo, Bachuma, Cottars,
- Mtito Andei
SIZE / LOCATION:
- 13,747 sq. km
- South East Kenya, inland from the Coast
- Entry is by SafariCard only. Safari cards may be loaded at Voi Gate
- Elephant in Eden - The sight of dust-red elephant wallowing, rolling and spraying each other with the midnight blue waters of palm-shaded Galana River is one of the most evocative images of Africa
- Aruba Dam - The beautiful Aruba dam located on the north bank of the seasonal Voi River, is visited by thousands of animals and a great game viewing destination
- Mudanda Rock - This whale –backed Rock towers above a natural dam, which acts as a draw to thousands of Elephants
The longest lava flow in the world- at 300 kilometers in length, the heat shimmering edge of yatta plateau is the longest lava flow in the world and an ornithological paradise that attract migrating birds from all over the world
- Lugards Falls - Named after Captain Lugard, the first proconsul to East Africa, the falls feature bizarrely eroded rocks through which the waters of the Galana River plunge into foaming rapids and crocodile –infested pools
- The Park is home to most of the larger mammals, vast herds of dust –red elephant, Rhino, buffalo, lion, leopard, pods of hippo,crocodile, waterbucks, Kudu, Gerenuk and Hirola
- The prolific bird life features 500 recorded species.
WHERE TO STAY:
- In - Park Accommodation
- Voi Safari Lodge
- Kingfisher Tented Camp
- Ndololo Tented Camp
- Tarhi Eco Camp
- Satao Camp
- Epiya Chapeya Tented Camp
- Patterson’s Safari Camp
- Aruba Ashnil
- Camping Facilities
- Public campsites: Ndololo Campsite
- A selection of special campsites are available however these must be booked in advance
- Game viewing
- Bird watching
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU:
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks.